Sunday, March 31, 2013

Quiche au Fromage

I decided to have a 'fancy' easter breakfast, and when people think fancy breakfast for some reason quiche is the biggest dish that can come to mind. What a lot of people don't realize is how crazy EASY it is to make! The recipe I used is from my textbook from school (which I have cited below). I also converted the measurements from metric since most of us don't have a kitchen scale (haha). Mine ran out of batteries...

This recipe makes 4 8in tarts, but I cut the recipe in half and made mini quiches!

  • 8 oz Gruyere cheese (I used a blend of parm, asiago, and romano. Any kind of cheese works!)
  • 6 Eggs beaten
  • 1/2 pint Heavy cream
  • 1 pint Milk
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper (I used a lot more and used black pepper)
  • 1/8 tsp or dash of nutmeg (trust me, it sounds weird but it's awesome


Add-ins:

  • Bacon
  • Spinach
  • Fresh Garlic
  • Mushrooms



  1. Spray pan with a cooking spray that has flour in it (I love the Pam with flour in it! 
  2. Line the bottom of your desired baking dish with pie or tart dough, making sure to smash it down and have it come up the sides a little bit
  3. Sprinkle a pinch of cheese into each cup, or if using a whole pan make a thin layer 
  4. Put pan in freezer while cooking bacon and sauteing veggies
  5. Mix eggs, milk, cream, and spices in a large bowl or measuring cup
  6. Top with cooked bacon bits, fresh spinach, garlic, sauteed mushroom, or any other topping you desire
  7. Pour egg mixture into the cups until it reaches the rim, or if using a pan just pour it all in
  8. Bake at 325 F for 15 min, turn pan 180 degrees, then cook for another 5 minutes or until quiche has completely set
  9. Remove from oven, let sit for a couple minutes, then pop out the cups. If using large pan let quiche rest for 15-20 minutes, then slice with a wet knife. (makes the cuts clean!) 

No idea why Michael didn't want to make the last 2


KCCO Easter











My tips: 

  1. Try to keep the eggs and dough as cold as possible until cooking
  2. You can substitute cream for more milk if desired. It makes it less rich, but healthier
  3. Almost any cheese and toppings work, but I would not recommend mozzarella! 
  4. This dish CAN be refrigerated and reheated the next day. Leftovers galore!  
  5. Only a very thin layer of dough is needed! It can be overpowering. 
My Citation: Gisslen, Wayne. "Quiche Au Fromage." Professional Cooking. Seventh ed. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2011. N. pag. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment